Saturday, September 20, 2008

School On Friday and My Saturday






















Yesterday at school we had a fun filled day. First we had art class, where we learned how to paint in the chinese style. It basically consists of ink and thick paint brushes. It was really fun, and we got to paint a fan. I really enjoyed it.
After art class we went to another English class where they were all happy to see us. JAck played his guitar and all the students enjoyed that.
Then we had lunch, but instead of getting lunch we went to the bakery that we visited on wednesday to buy two beautiful cakes for the party we planned.
The first cake was our chinese zodiac animal cakes, where we had all of the students' zodiac animals on the cake, including a mouse, horse, goat, rooster, snake, and a monkey. It was amazing to watch it being made. Then the other cake had a bunch of fruit on it which was stunning too.
There were about thirty students at our party, and it was a bunch of fun. We thanked them for showing us around their school and got to see our old tour students.
After the party we had chinese class and then after that we went to cooking class where we learned how to make dumplings. That was really fun because I love to cook! After we made the dumplings they boiled them for us and we got to eat them. I m ust say the dumplings that the chef made were much better but they were all alright. WE had so many dumplings that I didn't have room for dinner that night!
Then today I got to study in the morning until about noon when Lisa's parents came home and Lisa's mom and lao yi took me to moslem street to pick up the kimono dress that they ordered for me last week. It turned out really nice! I love it. After we picked up the dress we went to the huge mall that has 8 floors and looked around. I was excited until reality hit me and I realized everything was out of my price range- one tshirt was 600 yuan- about 90 dollars. I go more for the 100 yuan($15) shirts or less. I also tried this egg flavored drink it was...different. Then we went out onto the street where things were less different and I saw this beef kabob stand and a bunch of middle eastern workers grilling the meat and dancing to their music it made me laugh. Lisa's mom bought me one and it was really really good although the meat was spicy but I'm getting used to spicy food now. Then I saw a walmart all the way in china and LIsa's mom wanted to go in. I learned that the first walmart in china was opened in 1996. I think it was just a grocery store or somthing cause LIsa's mom went to a restaurant in that building and it definetely didn't look like a Walmart restaurant it was better. They had grills at each table and the waitress would grill stuff for you it was really cool. WE ordered tyhis bacon looking stuff which we then wrapped in lettuce and added spicy sauce. It was pretty good. After that we took the bus jammed full of people home, and I got more homework done. Tomorrow I'm going to see "a hole filled with rocks" according to Lisa until she looked up the word and it turns out we're going to a cave! I'm pretty excited.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! What a stunning dress! You look like an Asian princess. Many thanks to Lisa's family. Stunning cake too. What amazing adventures you are having! I'm jealous. Thanks so much for the blog. Your observations and photos really give us a sense of what you are experiencing. Remember to keep up with your studies. Love, Mum

Unknown said...

Do princesses go in caves? Well, I guess this one will... look forward to hearing about it!