Sunday, September 14, 2008

Moon Festival/Weekend











Well, this weekend we've been eating alot of moon cakes. What are they, you might ask? Well they're these round pastries filled with things like egg, meat, strawberr, pineapple, fig, lychee, and more stuff. They're important to celebrate the moon festival, so I'm told. This weekend is a 3 day weekend because of what they call the mid autumn festival. The kids get a whole monday off- which must tell you something of its importance, because school is so important here, students even have to go to school on saturdays! I can't see American kids coping well with the school system here. But anyway, as I'm writing there's fireworks going off in the sky. They're pretty.
So what did we do to celebrate the mid autumn festival? Well last night we went out to dinner at a fancy restaurant and had good food. I had watermelon for the first time since being here, so I was pretty excited.
Today we went shopping and then we went to dinner in the "countryside". First I'll talk about shopping. We took a 30 minute bus ride to a big shoppping district. We went to this mall with lots of little stores, and by little i mean tiny. Like spread your arms out and youre touching both sides of the store tiny. So there were lots of stores that we went to, and they all had cheap cheap stuff. Their clothes were very cute too, and I should have gotten some but at the time I didnt feel like spendind 100 yuan for a shirt, although I should have cause it was only 15 dollars. I did get this mineral face poewder stuff though but I just put it on and I realized it makes my face white. I guess it's good for Asians that want to look paler. What's going to be a problem is washing this off since the water currently doesn't work. Hmm i won't be able to wash my teeth either. But anyway, shopping. We went with little kely and kiernan, and harven and jack kinda met us there later. After we were done we went to lunch and then we went to a more expensive mall, which was fun to look at. I'm still getting stares from people since I'm an American. But then again, at the expensive mall people starting talking to me excpecting me to know CHinese. Psh I wish. But can they not see I'm an American? I guess they figure that no tourists would come there because all the tourists stick around the bell tower and the terra cotta warriors; so if I was to come there then that probabally meant I knew Chinese.
After shopping we went to Lisa's school to get picked up by her Uncle. He then took us to the "countryside" a half hour away. It was maybe 10 minutes out of the city, and you could still see the skylines of the buildings. The air was alot cleaner though. It was this place that was a big outdoor restaurant with water for fishing and pomegranate trees. Picking the pomegranates off the trees was fun. I got Mr. Nelson to pick one off for me, and then Me and Cass had a seed spitting competition. Later that night, we found out you aren't supposed to pick the pomegrantes, cause when Cass and I tried to pick one off a lady came out of nowhere telling us in CHinese not to touch. I was pretty bummed, but then I found out we were being served watermelon. It was a fun night, the dinner was good, especially the noodles. Me and Lisa took a walk around the area, and we went in this little tower that overlooks the area. At night the full moon came out, and it was really pretty. Lisa told me when you look at the full moon you're supposed to think of someone you miss. She told me she missed her friends. After that, we waited 30 minutes for Lisa's uncle to pick us up, and then we came home. So now here I am, wondering how I'm going to wash this stuff off my face with no water, and reflecting on how nice a weekend this has been so far. Tomorrow LIsa says we're going to KTV with some people. Ktv for those who don't knwo is pretty much just karaoke. I'm pretty excited.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bad pomegranate picker! Shall we just call you, Eve?

By the way, did you think of me when you looked at the moon ;) ?