Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hua Shan Mountain







It's really called Hua Mountain, because Shan means mountain.



It took two hours to get there by bus, but it was worth the ride. We arrived in this visitor centor place, and then took a 20 minute ride that took us closer to the foot of the mountain. The bus ride was really scary, because we were driving on a really windy, narrow road that looked up at the mountain and cliffs. Also, there weren't any railings on the side of the road and there were times when if the driver made a wrong turn, we could of fallen down the edge, which was a far drop.



So I thought we would be climbing the mountain, but we ended up taking a lift to the summit of one of the five or six peaks. Then once we got up there, we decided to take a hike to another one of the peaks. It would take four hours round trip. Well the first part was fun. The mountain was different than any other mountain I've climbed because what we were walking on was rock instead of dirt, and I wasn't climbing up a path, it was more stairs and straight walkways. But that doesn't mean it was easy. The stair were so steep it was scary, the rocks were slippery, and there was one point where the steps were so steep we had to hold on to a chain railing to climb up. A half hour throuhg hiking, it started to rain, so the tour guides decided to turn around since if we kept going, the rocks would get more and more slippery. But the view was cool, it was so high up and I guess it was a cloudy day so all you could see around you was clouds, nothing else. So I felt like I was on top of the world. I've never actually climbed a mountain where I couldn't see down, but I guess it was good since the view down would be really scary. I can't exactly explain the view perfectly, so I'll let the pictures explain, although I didn't get a perfect picture of just fog. Another interesting thing was there was stores up at the top of the mountain, especially stores selling locks to tie to ropes at the top, because apparently it symbolizes good luck.
Then we came down the mountain through the lift and went back to the school.



Overall, this was my favorite fieldtrip!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great aventure!