Sunday, October 5, 2008

October 3rd
















On October 3rd I slept in very lat because I was exhausted after the mountain. Lisa had to go to school so I went out to lunch with Lisa's mother, father, lao yi fu, lao yi, uncle and some neighbors. We went to a village about an hour out of the center of Xian. It wasn't a typical restaurant but more like a home with a bunch of people eating food there. The food was delicious. Also, just to make an observation, everyone smokes here. They jsut do. Even if a sign says no smoking they will anyway. I've probabally been exposed to more smoke here than i have in my whole lifetime.





After dinner we went to our nieighbors other home. I was told it was a "big house". It turned out to be a new townhouse. It was very clean and the view on the second floor was beautiful. But it wasn't exactly an American's idea of a big house. I guess it just goes to show how everyone here lives in apartments that aren't huge. We stayed at the townhouse for a while and just relaxed. I talked with Lisa's uncle and friend. I think it's his girlfriend though although they haven't told anyone for sure. I talked with the uncle's friend, and she had very good english. I later discovered that it was because she spent 2 years studying in England. I learned about a new type of candy that's kind of like a butterfinger. And we had many pomegranates. I love pomegranates now.





Then we came back home in a car designed for 5 people but with 4 people squeezed in the back. It was an interesting experience. We got grapes too at a vineyard. The grapes here are delcious. They're softer and less crunchy than your typical American grape, and you peel the skin off before eating them.


When we got home I had a little bit of time to relax until the phone rang. Then my mother and lao yi fu were trying to explain in chinese and broken english how i was going to a party. I was really confused until Lisa called and said we were going over to Harven's apartment for dinner. I got ready in 2 minutes and was whisked out the door. When we arrived at Harven's apartment I noticed how it was bigger than most apartments here in China. It had 2 floors, although the 2nd floor was smaller and had 2 rooms and a door to an amazing balcony that overlooks the city. They also had a maid that cooks food for them, It makes sense since Harven's parents both work until late. The people that were at this dinner were Harven, his Mother, Jack(who's living there with Harven for the month), Mr.Nelson and his host mom, Mrs.Letnauchyn and her host mom, Lisa, and I. The dinner was great we had fried dumplings, shrimp, eggplant, and other delicious food. Afterwards people played Mah Jong while Mrs.Letnauchyn took a nap in the couch and Lisa and Harven studied upstairs. We stayed there until 10 at night. It was a great night and a fantastic oppurtunity to see another Chinese apartment.

No comments: