Thursday, October 2, 2008

cui hua mountain





























Today we went to a mountain. It was great. We took a car up to the top of the mountain- 7 km( around 4 miles) and then there was a lake at the very top. And caves too. It was beautiful! We first went to the cave which turned out to be three cave- the wind cave, the sky cave, and the ice cave. We never exactly found the ice cave but the other 2 caves were pretty spectacular. Then we went paddle boating in the lake. Lisa's father said that it was formed a long time ago from an earthquake. He didn't come to the top with us though because he was tired from the night before when he and Lisa's uncle stayed up to talk so he and Lisa's uncle slept in the car while waiting for us. They don't get to see each other very often so they chose last night to stay up all night and talk. This week is National Holiday week so most people don't have work. The national holiday was yesterday on october 1 so Lisa had to go back to school tomorrow. The paddle boating was pretty fun we had a boat shaped like a car and the lake was very beautiful. There were many people at the top and i think there was a fair like thing going on. There were aslso many people seeling fruit like kiwi and mountain berries which is like crabapples only edible. Also they sold these peach shaped fruits that taste like the sweet version of a tomato.







We hiked down the mountain which was shorter than the way up. It took about 30 minutes and it was fun. There were many waterfalls and scenic areas so I couldn't complain. When we got back down we met Lisa's Dad and Uncle and got in the car. I though we were going home but suprise we were going to go to dinner and meet LIsa's aunt and grandmother and great aunty. Let me just note here that Lisa has billions of relatives. You wouldn't expect it because of the one child policy but this I guess was before this because LIsa' was explaining how Lisa's grandmother had 8 children and each of those children had at least 4 children. And then there's LIsa's mom's side with a lot of relatives too. I probabally didn't meet half of Lisa's relatives. But the ones I did meet were nice. Lisa's dad and uncle went back to their hometown and Lisa's mom, Lisa, and I went to dinner with LIsa's grandmother, great aunt, aunt, and cousin. Before this we waited for them becausde they live in a military neighborhood because i think the dad works for the military. Well they wouldn't let me in because I was a foreigner and they didn't want me learning any secrets. Paranoid much? and then when we wanted to take a building in front of where the Dad works the guard wouldn't let us. That's not strict at all. But dinner was great. We had sweet and sour pork, fish, corn, rice, soup, and a bunch of other dishes that I don't know the name of. The 9 year old cousin practiced his English with me encouraged by his mother who wanted him to talk with me as much as possible. The cousin was really cute and he is really good at English. He's very smart too LIsa says, which I found pretty obvious. All of Lisa's relatives tonight were very nice and although the grandmother and great aunt couldn't speak English, we communicated through sign language, my broken chinese, and LIsa.







After dinner we said goodbye to the cousin, the aunt, the grandmother and the great aunt and took a taxi home.







So now here I am excited to almost get to sleep. Tomorrow I can sleep until 11 and then we're going somewhere "special" for a lunch and we're going to see a "big house". I guess I'll discover more tomorrow.

No comments: